Sunday 23 March 2014

My first vegan resturant experience

Of course I have eaten out as a vegan - but never at a vegan restaurant. I was a little bit excited! We visited the super-healthy, raw, vegan restaurant Pure On Raw which is based in Sheffield, UK. http://www.pureonraw.co.uk/
 


I had the Burrito, which consisted of a dehydrated wrap made out of spinach, it came covered in cashew sauce and mustard and it was served with a very generously sized salad, a seedy-chewy 'thing' and a pot of dressing. It cost £8.50
 
The restaurant was very light and airy.
 
 

We didn't order for the children as they had snacked all morning but they had lots of tastes. Much to my daughters despair. She asked the waitress if she could have fish and chips three times
  
Look how healthy it is!

 
Amazingly healthy sounding juices - but we stuck with water as we are on a budget and this was lunch. I took the (terribly blurry) picture for juicing inspiration.
 
 
My husband had the 'burger' which was a nutty patty smothered in mustard and served with burger 'fixins' like red-onion rings and gherkins. This was also served with the same accoutrements of seedy thing, salad and dressing. The burger had a nice smoky taste. His meal was tastier than mine! This was £9.
 

Evan eats salad
 
 

Seedy thing


I also took home an Apricot Cheesecake which got smushed, so there is no way to make it look pretty again. £4.
The cheesecake tastes odd, so I wouldn't buy it again and it annoys me that we went to a food festival and saw slices of non-vegan cheesecake for £2.30 a slice. The more I think about it I wonder how it can be cheaper to produce a cheesecake cheaper that takes the maintenance of an animal to make it than one that's based on cashews?

 
The food from Pure on Raw was really fresh tasty and we (grown-ups) came away feeling very virtuous, but I thought it was expensive for cold food. OK I know that is the point of raw food, but still - I have had plates of salad for cheaper! and without the wrap (which I didn't like) my dinner was basically a well-made salad. Mark's burger was nice - it but felt like the meals would be a great option in a deli as a takeaway lunch for around £5-6 rather than just under the £10 mark. I would LOVE it if this was an affordable, easy to access lunch option for me - it isn't.
 
My daughter Tuesday was impressed with the self-service water station, but both kids weren't that impressed with the food. There was a revolt against shredded beetroot at one point. I don't think I will be taking them back there.


No comments:

Post a Comment